View Single Post
Old 02-22-2008, 08:19 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to newsvx
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawazat?? View Post
Yesterday was the season-ender RallyCross for the Detroit Region SCCA. Friday afternoon/evening I dropped/swapped out the GC/Koni coilovers for the "winter" set-up (stock springs and Koni inserts). Pulled the camber bolts and re-loaded the stockers at max negative camber and buttoned her back up. Got up Saturday to 20F temps but beautiful sunshine. Grabbed the Michelin rally tires (yup, got a set mounted on some 16" Mustang SVO wheels) and headed out. The course was snow covered and slippery and consultation with some buddies convinced me to keep on the all-seasons instead of the rally tires. By the time I'd finished my morning runs, the car and tires were sooo muddy I chose not to swap them in the afternoon when I know they would have helped dramatically...oh, well. Near crunch off-course experience but saved it at the last minute If any of you have the chance to try one of these events, it really is an eye opener as to how our cars handle with drastically reduced surface friction. I'm a rapidly improving autocrosser, but this was a bunch of rapid wheel sawing, opposite lock, OH SNAP kind of fun. Highly recommended.

Had a blast, the car is dirty, and hope to have pics soon.
GREAT idea, Todd. I like it!!

As for myself, I think I'll stick to autocrossing and track time at VIR and Summit Point. I can't see myself cleaning all the mud, etc off after rallycross, although I think it would be loads of fun. I might try it with the '92, but not the '97 with 75K miles on it and in really good shape.
BTW, how do you like the attached video on YouTube? Not a SVX (but a 400 HP 2200lb Focus outrunning a Porsche - watch him on the mile straight from the in-car camera running behind them). This is the kind of thing that would be nice on the sub-forum - not just pics but video as well. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49lQQ5To8Ew

SUPER idea, Todd! Let's make it happen!! Autocross starts in April!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Harry
1992 SVX LSL, #1215
1997 SVX LSi, #370
"I live with fear every day. Sometimes she lets me go racing."
"Getting Older and Slower"
Locker: http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?newsvx

Last edited by newsvx; 02-22-2008 at 09:58 PM. Reason: forgot to add link