View Single Post
Old 09-25-2009, 01:28 AM

Registered SVX
Re: How To Do the Bosch Relay Mod???

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren View Post
I would imagine that the referred terminal is the "heavy, from tne battery line directly from the battery. The voltage tapped from that connection directly to the relay and through the relay points directly to the starter in my openion should be fused. But that is just me.

Keith
Keith,

There is no "connection directly to the relay and through the relay points directly to the starter."

As I pointed out much earlier in this thread and on another occasion, the starter cable and the starter starter as a unit are not protected by a fuse, as this is difficult due to the very high inrush current involved. Provided that the connection from the starter terminal to the relay contact is short and mechanically sound, it is no more likely that a short will occur here, than in the main starter circuit. A relay coil short is protected against, via the original wiring.

In fact the additional connection from the relay to the fuse, will constitute the exact same fault path, and the addition of the fuse presents an extra fault path. The mechanical aspects are the deciding factor. Unfortunately the starter cable is, and remains, THE dangerous item in respect of fire.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!