View Single Post
Old 11-30-2002, 01:05 PM

Send a message via ICQ to IwantaSVX Send a message via AIM to IwantaSVX
Transmission Q's!

I'm looking into buying another SVX. The one I am looking at is a '92 with 137K. The owner is not sure if it is the original transmission. This is the story I have heard:

The car would slip out of gear, it would get worse as it warmed up, and eventually it would quit shifting leaving the owner stranded. One time the guy waited and when it cooled off he drove it home, the next time he was close enough to his house and walked. Since then it has been parked. His mechanic suggests it needs a new transmission and says that a computer module went out which contributed to the premature failure of the transmission. I guess this was his daughter's car, and to his knowledge it was fine up until it started the above problems.

I have had the owner check and make sure it will engage into gear to be driven on a trailer....and he confirmed it will. I also asked him to drive it cold and see if it went through the gears. He confirmed it went through the gears (1-3) but it will quit shifting after about 10 minutes. I'm assuming since he only took it down his road a few houses the car wouldn't pick up enough speed to go into 4th not to mention the car was cold.

I've read a thread back a few months that sounds awfully familiar to the problems I described and the guy fixed his problem by having the filters replaced and the transmission flushed. I'm not hoping its that simple as I'm expecting the worst but I was hoping to get some thoughts.

I don't understand why it quits shifting once warm. Since the car shifts through the gears when cold, this is a good thing, correct??

P.S. I'm waiting to hear back from him. I asked if it makes any noises when it quits shifting.

Last edited by IwantaSVX; 11-30-2002 at 01:11 PM.