View Single Post
Old 06-29-2011, 11:55 AM
Either committed, or should be

Send a message via ICQ to thumper_svx Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_svx
Registered SVX
Re: Exhaust questions or (My CAT is Loud)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
Yeah, emissions could be an issue depending on where you are, but some cars are even able to pass without the main cat when there are pre-cats. I'm guessing the SVX wouldn't though.
Although I have a sample size of 1, my old 96 never had a problem with emissions. We put on the 3.8 cats and replaced the center cat with a Y pipe. Then all the pipe back as far as the muffler was replaced. Being a '96 it was OBD2 but still passed emissions every time.

Having said that, there is an exemption for emissions in federal guidelines for the 96 model year because the emissions computer loses its tracked information when the engine is shut off. This means that it's technically never ready to have the emissions information read and thus gets an automatic pass so long as the CEL isn't on. The 97's I can't speak to, but I had some faffing around with the EPA when I had my 96 inspected earlier this year and thus came up with all that exemption information. Had to get the EPA to make a statewide exemption for all 96 SVX's

My Rides:
Red 1996 SVX LSi (Saffron)
2007 Yamaha FJR1300 (Kaitlin)

Previously owned; green '95 L AWD (sold), black/pearlie '94 LSi (too many problems), Polo Green '96 SVX LSi (apparently notThe end of an era)

Member #2 in the Yahoo! club, been here since the beta-testing days. In dire need of a cheaper hobby.