View Single Post
Old 04-22-2009, 01:02 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Door rust, Caught it in Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike621 View Post
I am sure the undercarriage tells that story...

After replacing brake and fuel lines in a local owner's 1992 LS-L (originally from MA), I would advise checking the condition of your hard lines as well.
Actually had a real good look over with it on a lift when I first got it, the undercarriage is still clean with the factory rustproof undercoat. All of the trans mounts, control arms, etc are still in great shape with just minimal surface rust starting on the control arm surfaces.

The only real rust are on this door(dr side) and to an actual lesser extent, the passenger side quarter panel starting right behind the wheel well that I plan on taking care of relatively soon or otherwise when its in for the body work, having them take car of that as well. I'll get some pics up of the underbody if I get that motivated

It's hard to believe but some cars actually do survive just fine up here. My parents bought an 89 Chevy Astrovan brand new and even after 18 years and 195,000 miles, still had absolutely no rust on the body. My mom even scraped the side of a chain link fence and it put deep, DEEP, scratches(gouges basically) along the side and even those scratches never rusted over 8+ years.

Last edited by 1986nate; 04-22-2009 at 01:05 PM.