View Single Post
Old 10-28-2007, 10:56 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_hustedt@hotma View Post
Hi there,

I have mismatched front and rear tires. I know this is not ideal and I plan on getting myself a new set soon, but in the meantime, is it better to run the car in FWD until then or can that still cause transmission problems?

Thanks again.
The tyres should all be as close, to the same rolling diameter as is practical, so that all wheels rotate at the same speed. It is possible for tyres of a different make or pattern to have virtually the same rolling diameter.

Find a level straight stretch quiet road. Set the tyres to optimum pressure. Mark all tyres at the point of contact with the road. Drive the car slowly and straight for say a hundred yards or so. Compare the position of marks on all four tyres by bringing one mark back in line with the road. It will be realised that any differences will indicate differences in rolling diameter.

A small discrepancy is expected, and you must be the judge as to what is reasonable, keeping in mind the wear and tear involved if elements within the transmission are called upon to slip due to a marked degree over a real distance.

If there is a difference particularly in respect of front/rear pairs, Consider the possibility of making corrections by altering positions and tyre pressure.

These suggestions are made on the basis that there are major money constraints.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!