View Single Post
Old 10-21-2004, 09:28 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: help with EGR vacuum control

Quote:
Originally posted by possumfat9
My Svx of about 2 years now developed a problem. After I would first start car and temp gauge would start to move, engine would run very bad and create preasure on engine. It would clear up when temp reached normal. If you try to give it gas during the time it ran badly, it will skip stutter and blow oil. It will have no vacuum on air inlet and no preasure on exaust. Its as if the engine has no access to outside air. I assumed EGR problem. I have now removed intake and have tested most EGR and vacuum components. I removed EGR Vacuum control and noticed that hose are leading from intake to this valve is always leaking to atmosphere. I have taken this valve apart and it appears that it works this way. I just seems that this would always be a vacuum leak. Also if intake always draws air from this vacuum hose --dirt could get by the small filter in valve. I just need to know if this is proper operation of this valve> Thanks
Just thinking over breakie, From your discription, I think it is either the BTP valve, stuck closed, or it is not getting vacuum, to open it.

When the engine gets to temp, the ECU turns on the EGR Solenoid, this puts manifold vaccum on the EGR valve, to open the exhaust path. It then relies on the BTP Valve to bleed off vacuum to only allow the EGR to open when the throttle is in the cruse position. This is set by the drilling in the throttle bore that is opened and closed by the throttle plate position.

With this BTP valve not working, as soon as it reaches temp the exhaust path is opened, regardless of the throttle position, idle, full throttle, backed off,,,,,,,,,,,,,

This is the vacuum control valve that you have mentioned. Yes it is like a vacuum leak, except that the drilling is covered at idle by the throttle plate. It is this leak that bleeds off the vacuum to prevent the exhaust path from opening at the wrong time.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.

Last edited by oab_au; 10-21-2004 at 09:31 PM.