View Single Post
Old 09-30-2006, 07:07 AM
Grand Poo-Bah

Send a message via AIM to halistan Send a message via MSN to halistan Send a message via Yahoo to halistan
Registered SVX
Help :) any suggestions would be appreciated

ok, my little brothers pontiac grand am (96 SE model) is having an issue. When he tries to start it, it turns over and just as it catches it gets up to 1000 RPM's, then immediately dies. At first i thought it wasn't getting fuel, so we changed the filter (which was the gunkiest filter i've ever seen) but that had no affect. I've wondered if its the starter, but it does turn over and doesn't do the usual super-high rev or click but not turn over symptoms...but i'm still wondering if its not turning the engine over fast enough for it to really completely catch (its just a thought).

Thats about where i'm at. I'm getting close to telling him just to have it taken to a shop and let them figure it out, but before we do that (cause he really can't afford that) I thought i'd see if any of you had any thoughts.

Oh, i checked with Kuo and he also thought it might be getting flooded by a leaky injector so we tried flooring the pedal (to put the car into anti-flood mode, so it wouldn't inject fuel, just air) to see if that would help and for a split second i thought it was going to work, but it didn't. It just did the same thing...revved to 1000 RPM, then died.

Anyone got any thoughts? I'd appreciate the help Thanks everyone.

Ray
All new and improved custom built engine with forged internals, lowered compression, upgraded cams and a stage III supercharger. AMR Engineering struts, Custom exhaust --All 3 Subaru cats removed, and replaced with 2 high flow mustang cats-- Cross-drilled & Slotted rotors, steel braided brake lines, bypassed stock Tranny cooler replaced with aftermarket B&M super-cooler, and a K&N drop in air filter.