Thread: Bad Alternator?
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2007, 08:39 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannmarr View Post
Thanks for the replies. Heat is something to consider because it always happens after I drive the car for awhile. I don't believe I have a loose wire because the symptoms happen even while idling, with no movement (after a short drive of course). This is a rebuilt Alternator I installed recently. I still have the core and will have that one rebuilt to see if it does the same. If it is heat related, what is the solution? Will this happen to every alternator I install?
A good alternator should not be affected by normal engine related temperature.

Now a special important request ------

I have previously requested someone do an experimental test which could be of real benefit to members if successful. However the thread involved became a mess and the request was sidelined.

Do you have or can you procure a multimeter with AC voltage ranges? Is so switch the meter to an AC voltage range which will cover 12 volts AC. With the engine not running, connect the meter across the battery and see if you obtain a steady reading.

There may be an short indication immediately on connection. No steady reading will prove that the meter has full wave rectification and is OK. The meter may take 20 - 30 seconds to settle, due to internal capacitance.

Next run the engine at say 2,000 RPM to ensure the alternator is charging and again apply the meter as before. A steady reading after an interval, will indicate the presence of an alternating current and an AC voltage imposed on the supply line. It is this reverse voltage which bypasses diodes blocking a sneak circuit in the warning light circuitry and causes them to illuminate.

If there is no reading and AC is not detected, switch to a lower voltage range as a further test. All is suggested as an experiment which has every chance of working, but requires proving. If you can do so all will be indebted to you. It will be appreciated that experiment can only carried out with a faulty alternator on hand and the opportunity is not common. Please note carefully what is required as well as results.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!