View Single Post
Old 07-23-2007, 08:37 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Thumbs up What A Blast!

Had a blast and got a lot of info stuffed in to my little head last weekend. Car performed very well and got some nice compliments from the instructors who drove it (first one of these I've seen at one of our classes-from the founder, nice wide powerband, and very good grip). Lotsa runs (~ 30 the first day, 20 or so the second) and great instruction from Jean Kinser and Robert Carpenter, both national champion autocross folks. Class had 12 students and a wide variety of cars (A3, 914, STix2, WRX wagon, Focus SVT, V-6 Camaro, Cougar, 996 Turbo, Lotus Elise, MGB, SRT4, GTO, etc). The harnesses, reinstalled Koni inserts, Porterfield pads/stainless steel lines, fine tuned alignment with 1.75 degress negative camber and fine-tuned toe really helped. Power steering issue-no boost at low speed and high-rate of steering input-raised it's head again on Saturday but was not a factor on Sunday. This apparently was a common issue with other cars from our vintage (Probe, MX-6, Prelude) when autocrossing according to the instructors. Killed the Hankooks on Saturday (they were used with 4/32's when I left-probably removed 3/32's from them-mostly on front-GO FIGURE???) and stayed with the Bridgestones (STi spec RE-070's) on Sunday which all who drove her agreed were a better fit for the car. The school recorded times on Saturday and by the end of the day, I was matching the instructors times in my car...the STi's, Lotus, and 996 were still beating me by well over 3 seconds on a mid-30 second course but I thought the old girl showed well. Instructors both felt that another 1-2 seconds could be dialed out of her with more experience/tuning/optimization. I think left-foot braking may become my next weapon.

I hope to have the seat brackets this week to get the Recaros installed and then Stage 1v5 to get ready for the Subaru Challenge in Lafayette at the plant (y0-SVX repreSENT!!) With that, I'm done with mods for the season though the $100 Bridgestone rebate on RE-01r's in 245/40-17 is really haunting me right now

Todd
Todd