Thread: seized engine
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2012, 04:58 PM

Registered SVX
seized engine

So I picked up a non-running 92 svx a few weeks ago and finally got started working on it to see if it can be saved and restored. Mostly as practice so I can work on my 96 that's acting like it has head gasket issues.

The previous owner planned on using the engine as a donor in a Vanagon but gave up after letting it sit around for several years. He bought it knowing that it had a bad head gasket and made sure I was aware of its condition. Unfortunately he hadn't started the engine in at least 2 years and it wouldn't start when I bought it.

So now I've got it in a friends garage (no car work at my apartment allowed) and decided to pull the engine and do a full reseal along with replacing the head gasket. The job was a little challenging because A) I've never done this level of work before and B) I can't get the crankshaft to move. My friends say it's seized and maybe soaking some Marvel's Mystery Oil in the spark plug holes will allow it to break loose (It's been soaking in the left side for 36 hours at this point). To get access to the plugs I managed to get the engine out with the torque converter still attached but it won't allow me to mount the engine to a stand.

So as it stands, I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas to help me get the shaft to spin enough that I can get to the last TC bolt, or if there is a good way to dismantle the rest of the engine to find where its bound up (how do you get the timing belt cover off). From the outside there isn't much that looks bad, just dirty with a bit of coolant in the left side exhaust manifold, no debris in the oil pan, and the usual brittle hoses.

Last edited by Crash_Bandit; 12-02-2012 at 04:59 PM. Reason: clarity