View Single Post
Old 09-04-2018, 01:29 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX
Re: Might have a blown headgasket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
Keep an eye on the gauge. If it's overheating you should see bubbling. Has it been hot as hell there like it has been here in Quebec?
It has been hot and continues to be hot. I am hoping it is a bad rad cap or a clog like John mentioned (haven't checked that yet) but I am not optimistic.

I need to decide what to do if it is a blown gasket. It will cost me about $1800 to get it repaired. It is a 96 with no rust at all and runs well otherwise. It has 149K on it so I think I can get another 50K and probably three or four years if I reseal it. That is definitely worth $1800. But I will be driving a car with crappy clear coat and several dings and scratches around for 3-4 years. Not sure I want to spend $1800 to do that. Do I spend an additional $3K and get it repainted too? Then it would look less ghetto. But now I probably need to get at least 5 years out of it to make it worth while. Tranny is original so will I get 5 more years? And, even if I do, will I want to drive it around daily when it is pristine? I suppose I could go all out and turn it into a garage queen and bring it to car shows. Not sure if I am a car show guy though.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything