View Single Post
Old 09-02-2018, 05:20 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Might have a blown headgasket

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess View Post
Jack up the front of the car as high as you can. Tom Krynock used to use his frame lift and raise the front of the SVX as high as possible, leaving the rear wheels on the ground. Even driving up onto ramps or jackstands works.

I had a shop use this tool on my Outback with great results. Uses vacuum to exacuate all the air from the cooling system and draw in 100% new coolant without air pockets.

https://www.amazon.com/UView-550000-.../dp/B0002SRH5G

See the video here of how it works.

https://youtu.be/_WCRcuCZI50
Yes I have this tool, it makes it very easy to refill the system perfectly without any issue with burping the system. But even more importantly it is a great tool to check the system, since if there are any leaking spots it can not pull vacuum nor hold that vacuum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskymaniac View Post
The last part makes perfect sense. What confuses me is that there is no oil in the coolant. Also, why doesn't the air get pushed into the overflow tank and coolant sucked back in when everything cools? To see what I am seeing, exhaust would need to get into the system and push coolant into the overflow and little to no coolant get sucked back into the radiator when everything cools.
There will rarely ever be oil in the coolant unless the headgasket is completely trashed, or if your rings are totally shot. Since in normal combustion there will not be oil in the combustion chamber.

And as to the coolant pushing into the overflow then getting sucked back, yes in normal operation that is what happens, however that relies on heated coolant pushing out, and cooling coolant inside the engine contracting creating a vacuum to pull the coolant back. but if the exhaust gas is seeping into the coolant those gases are displacing the coolant, thus no vacuum is occuring.

Last edited by svxcess; 09-03-2018 at 09:47 AM.