Old 07-15-2003, 09:56 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by Subafreak
I too have always thought of the Corrado as the german SVX mostly becouse they came out about the same time, they both looked different form anything the manufacturer made before, and they were pitted aginst one another in several car mags.
Serious disagreement here, Subafreak!! The SVX was a one-off for Subaru, definitely new ground broken for Fuji, but the Corrado was a remake of a previous model for Volkswagen..

The car I mean is the Mark I Scirocco, 74-81. This was the cutest small coupe made at the time, and designed by none other than our own Giugiaro.

This car ran on a Golf[Rabbit] chassis, and hit the market before the Mark I Golf. The press, and all God's chillun loved them. the only real criticism, they had very poor accommodation, no space inside.

VW rectified this by designing the Mark II in-house. It had more space, and better creature comfort, but the styling was way off, like a Germanic Nissan Sunny coupe. The press lambasted these for the mediocre things they were, and when VW came forward with the new coupe, the Corrado, they had reverted to the classic coke-bottle shape of the Mark I Scirocco.

I am convinced VW renamed what I consider to be the Scirocco Mark III as the Corrado, as they wanted to distance the new car from the design and marketing failure the Mark II had been.

For the same reason, I expect we will never see a "new" or Mark II SVX. The B11S is just that car, and Fuji will put miles of distance between that car and the SVX, because in this case, "comparisons are odious" They will not want the new car to be tainted with the marketing failure the SVX was, and are highly likely to sell it as an Impreza Coupe, to capitalise on the success the Impreza has become. Even though the Impreza never had a six cylinder power plant.

About time for VW to release a new coupe. Would be interesting with all the good engines they now have, and the 4wd chassis they can use. They are probably wary of taking sales from the Audi TT.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl