View Single Post
Old 11-09-2011, 02:34 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: suggestions for cars that are under $10,000?

Quote:
Originally Posted by XT6Wagon View Post
OEM tires are often molded shallower and with cheaper rubber compounds than the retail tires.
Where did you get this information? I'd be interested to know what manufacturers do this. I could see it being done from a rubber compound aspect to save money with a cheaper compound, but the cost and complexity of tooling to make 2 different tread depths for the same tire does not add up.

It's absolutely not true at the tire company I work at. The OEM's are made identically to the replacement market tires. The OEM's have the strictest tolerances for uniformity (balance, vlcc, conicity, etc. ) An OEM market tire is held to a higher standard (center cut from normal production) to encourage customers to be repeat customers.
Making your OEM tire a crappy tire in relation to the replacement is only going to make you lose customer loyalty.

Some more interesting information: OEM is not where we make money. The replacement market is. When choosing between the many development contracts for OEM each year the replacement market is a huge consideration. Customer loyalty and demographic as it pertains to the type/class of car being purchased is also a major factor when choosing which contract to bid on. For example, why would you spend a bunch of R&D money on a great tire for a kia rio when you know the customer is going to put on a cheap set of chinese tires as soon as the OE's are worn to the threads. You spend the money on a BMW where you can be pretty sure the owner isn't going to downgrade to a cheaper brand when the time comes. You definitely don't put an inferior tire on the OEM or you are digging your own grave.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.