View Single Post
Old 11-21-2006, 05:16 PM

Send a message via AIM to Duckie
historically ign is rather pro sony. Obviously they dont come out and say so but that is not the point.

As far as the stuff compared in that artical it actually makes a huge difference from the developer side. On the ps3 it blows the 360 away when it comes to non floating point calculations and it really shows in area like npc AI and it has a lot of potential. The 360 has it beat when it comes to AA (a big deal unless you like slowdown) and graphics in general all though it cant touch the PS3 when it comes to most lighting effects.

As far as the artical being dated there are several more recent ones from a plethera of sites confirming what that artical already stated. My GPU in my computer is superior to the PS3s and i purchased it 6 months ago. The 360s GPU is a directx10 card and it hasnt been released to the public yet. It was way way ahead of its time when it was put on the 360. It is a simply amazing GPU.

But its not just that 360 is capable of making the graphics better, the way the architecture was setup for the 360 allow for very very easy programing which allows third partys to creat some brilliant games. Its not that the PS3 wont have third party development, it will just be harder to code for and is a big discouragement for smaller companys (who often put out either amazing games or amazingly horrible games). The original rumors of the PS3 being hard to develope for are completly false though, it will just take longer and a little more time.

When it comes down to games people always think the xbox systems only have sports and FPS...I will never understand where they come up with this idea. To name one good example of a game thats currently out is Viva Pinata; an inovative and uniquely fun experience created by rare. I will admit the most well known games are FPS but it doesnt stop a gamer from knowing about games like fable, viva, kameo, psychnaughts(spelling?), jade empire, etc etc etc.

And for the record I am a huge sony fan...I owned a PS2 at the japanese launch and was one of the first in the US to have it. That, however, doesn't stop me from understanding the limitations of each console (I will have all 3, only 2 for now) and with that knowing what to expect.

In the end it will always come down to the games...and I doubt that will ever change.