View Single Post
Old 01-25-2007, 03:55 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry
Are there two speed sensors? I was under the impression that there's just the one 3 wire speed sensor from the OEM tranny that gets reused after the swap. No one else w/ a 4.44 swap has had issues with binding, or with the speedo reading incorrectly if they reuse the OEM sensor.

Finally, if there really was a problem with the conversion as you suggest, then I would expect it to be at all times, not just around corners. My symptoms are right in line w/ a worn transfer clutch.
Yes there are two speed sensors, the front one that you replaced with the SVX one, and the one in the back of the box, that reads the transfer clutch speed. The TCU compares these two readings to detect wheel spin. If they vary by less than 20% (app) It considers this as turning, and does not apply transfer pressure. If the difference is greater that 20%, it considers this to be wheel spin and sends pressure to the clutch.

With the front sensor reading front wheel speed, at the 3.5:1 rate, and the rear sensor reading rear wheel speed at a 4.44:1 rate, the difference is about 25%, up in the wheel spin area, so the TCU applies transfer pressure.

All the lower geared connersions are affected like this, just that the 4.44 has the greatest difference in speed readings.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.