Thread: 2007 Camaro
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2006, 02:07 PM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red SVX 92
Lutz talking about the LS7 rings false, IMO. They're not going to have a Camaro w/ more power than the base Corvette at a lower price point.
Why not? It's already happened numerous times. Remember COPO Camaros? The Turbo GTA? Not to mention the LS1 f-bodies and Corvettes all have the same engine, just with different published power ratings. So who's to say they couldn't drop in an LS7 (in Z06 trim) in the 2008/9 Camaro SS and say it only has 490hp? They have a history of doing exactly that.

Also worthy of note is the fact that GM has published two new part numbers for the LS7 oil pan. One no doubt is for truck applications (Silverado SS, Tahoe SS, ESC-R), but the other is very close in capacity to the Z06 application. Another car is getting an LS7.

Quote:
Just won't happen; the Corvette's gotta be the top dog.
The Corvette still is top dog. You could give the new Camaro SS 550hp and the Z06 would still rip it apart in every performance category. I don't think they mentioned weight anywhere, but there's no way that new Camaro will be under 3600lbs. The Z06 is what? Around 3000lbs? Definetly a huge advantage there.

Quote:
And by the time that they deliver the '09 Camaro, the design will be as bland as the Mustang is now, not to mention being late to the retro party. I doubt retro will still be the hot trend it is right now in 3 years.
Now this could be a good point. Who knows where it will go, I would have thought the whole retro thing would be done long already, but maybe this is going to be the new norm. To add to your point, who knows how much of the design GM may change by it's 08/09 release.

Quote:
Oh yeah, one more thing. The DOD they plan to use on the Camaro concept is gonna be one sunuvab!tch to bypass for performance upgrades. Kiss that easy horsepower goodbye unless you can bypass or eliminate that.
Only in certain situations. I would think FI would be tricky, but a heads and cam change? That should work, assuming the aftermarket adapts and has DoD compatible hardware available. Plus i'm willing to bet that DoD can be disabled through the ECM with OBDII tuning software.

Last edited by Shadow248; 01-14-2006 at 02:10 PM.