View Single Post
Old 03-25-2010, 05:42 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Re: Rebuilt Steering racks "feeler"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
I do get the point actually. Someone post up the final price of what it cost them to get one rebuilt at a local shop or at least get a quote. I know locally by me, there aren't any shops who will do this work-or at least that I've found/heard of. The problem is going to be that any local shop is still going to have to go out and buy the seals needed from Subaru so parts cost is going to be the same. The key is going to be that their labor rates are obviously going to be higher than what it is for me to do this...

Edit: Or is a local shop going to find all the right seals for the rack right away from another source?-this isn't sarcasm either, honest question...
Do the research. Yes it might mean you have to look at a classic car magazine or restorers monthly as just like carb builders and good chromers these type of businesses don't "need" customers. They tend get more then they can handle. Where do you think someone gets a rack rebuilt for a 48 Hudson? A seal is just that. If you have the specs they are available. National Bearing Co is a very good source. Subaru doesn't do a good service of providing this. Honda (at least Honda bikes) list all the dimensions in their parts lists. The local shop found all the seals for my dessert dried tvr even though to this day I still have no idea who made the rack. You need to keep in mind that researching alternative seal sources usually isn't cost effective when your paying honest mechanic wages.