View Single Post
Old 01-08-2003, 02:26 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by CigarJohnny
But they should have no right to charge you for a diagnostic when you already told them to replace it.
I've never worked in an auto shop, but I have worked in several repair shops in two different industries. I'd have to say that your above comment is a little unrealistic.

For instance, I used to fix computers in a small shop in FL. People came in with the strangest problems, and they almost always had their own diagnosis. How was I to separate the ridiculous home diagnoses from the knowledgable ones? How is anybody in any repair business supposed to do the same?

Some small shops will just go ahead and replace what you tell them to, regardless of whether or not they think it's needed. But plenty of shops, like Kelli's, are conservative and want to make sure that they fix what needs fixing. If you have a symptom and you think repair A will fix it, and they just go ahead and do it, and then that doesn't fix the problem, they don't want you coming back to them pissed off and demanding free service because they clearly didn't fix the problem. Or what if you're so wrong that they fix it, then the real problem part fails and causes major damage to your car? They didn't catch it because you didn't let them diagnose the problem yourself.

SOA's once-weekly ordering stinks, I won't disagree with you there. But don't get angry at your shop for assuring that they fix the right thing.

If I wanted it fixed faster, I might try to sweet-talk a tech or service writer into riding along with me to witness the symptom themselves. I don't know whether or not it would work, but it's worth a shot.

I'm not suggesting that you don't know what you're talking about. But it's not unrealistic of them to ask that they research the problem themselves to make sure that they fix it correctly for you.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE