View Single Post
Old 08-19-2008, 08:07 AM
Mechanical 'L' plater ahead

Re: VW's and Subaru's

Quote:
Originally Posted by McTaff View Post
The flat cylinder configuration being common means the engine is roughly the same size and shape. Square pegs for square holes, and so on.<snip>

The only other alternative flat-4 engines would be those from motorbikes such as the Honda Goldwing or some BMW bikes, or light aircraft. Given the nature of bike engines being lower in torque, and light aircraft using different fuels... Subaru is the best (or at least most logical) answer.
Now I get why the engine, ta. The mechanics/physics of torque I'm still wrapping my head around (seems to be an important thing around here) but from the little I do get, a lower torque (motorbike) would mean not enough force to get the car moving - or at least moving fast enough. Hence why its the engines of heavier bikes that could work.

Quote:
That's easy: A cheap, tough car, they have a unique look, and they have a history of offroad (Baja Bugs, for instance) competitiveness and modification enthusiasts.
There is something cool about them. I remeber 'beetle spotting' as a kid.

The engine explanation you followed with makes perfect sense, now I think about it. I'd thought it was solely about performance and the limited options thing hadn't occurred to me. I bought the SVX because I had to take my old girl off the road ('82 Benz). The engine needed rebuilding and it just wasn't practical. If an enthusiast also has the money to be able to, yup, I get it.

"awsomeness"... what a great expression. Gave me a chuckle.

-
Quote:
(If you ever head to Sydney, my mantra is well known here - talk to Penrith Subaru. They are, in my mind, the best. I have solid trust and they have looked after me. Great service and good staff to boot.)
*grin* yup, even I know your mantra, from reading past posts. I moved up here from Sydney to study, so my girl will end up back there, in time.

McTaff that's a really well explained answer. Thanks for taking the time.

Tania.

No plants = no life on earth - so go forth and plant green things!