View Single Post
Old 08-18-2008, 05:02 AM
Mr Soob

Re: VW's and Subaru's

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantchick View Post
A parts guy mentioned some kind of connection between the VW guys up here and Subaru's. <snip>
Even suggested I go to one of their mechanics, if I was having trouble finding one.

The flat-cylinder configuration is the only real common denominator.

However, there is quite a lot of success transplanting Subaru engines into VW vehicles (EJ20 into the Beetle, and EG33 into just about every van they have every made), and so some VW mechanics have some familiarity with the engines.

Depending on how much you really love your car. If you're like me, I only ever use the same Subaru Dealer for servicing - even though I live in a different state.

There is no reason why you can't take your car to any mechanic, it's simply a matter of trust and exposure. Mechanics exposed to the vehicles will pick up issues that an inexperienced grunt would miss.

Just comes down to how much you are willing to pay

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantchick View Post
Since I got my girl I keep being told that the engines are a pain to work on, but that they're solid as and will go forever.

Tania.
They are actually no more difficult than any other engine; in fact they are quite easy until they need head work.

Generally, transverse mounted small car engines are a lot harder to work on - changing a timing belt can require removing engine mounts and a jack or hoist. However the Subaru EG33 is more or less a V6 engine, it's just that the cylinder heads are pushed right down inside the engine bay. Working on the various bits and pieces is easy as pie - they are all sitting on top!

These engines, provided you keep the servicing up to them, are sound. I take usual precautions when driving (When I start car, let it warm up before driving off. Take it nice and easy for the first five minutes and last few minutes. Leave it running for a few minutes before turning it off). They might not make a whole difference, but in the long run I sleep easier! I have had 250,000km from mine, and I foolishly thrashed it and used it for an everyday driver for many years until I grew up a bit, yet this engine still kept going without nary a complaint.

You have a lovely vehicle. Don't skimp on servicing, and it'll do it's best for you.
'93 SVX Black on Burgundy > Completely stock, under preservation, treated like a princess. (55,000km, 1 previous owner) Not For Sale
'92 SVX Black on Burgundy > Completely stock, under preservation, treated like a princess. (144,000km, 2 previous owners) Not For Sale
Wife, Red Hot when riled > Treated like a princess. Minister For Finance, Domestic Affairs and Diplomatic Relations. Definitely Not For Sale
My Wanted List: http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...178#post632178

Last edited by McTaff; 08-18-2008 at 05:21 AM. Reason: Because I need to work on my English.