Thread: Oil Discussion
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2001, 02:03 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
<<PERSONALLY and don't get me wrong...you can do whatever you like on your engines...but I would stick with the 3000 mile method. I guess it really depends on the oil going in>>

I'm sure we'll find varied opinions here. We can all cite examples of pro/con. I have not always been as diligent in maintaining my cars as I have this one. But all have done me well. Most of my early vehicles I would change oil "when I thought about it." My '64 Fairlaine had 195K on it when I sold it. Engine was still running strong. My favorite example was a '73 LTD we'd bought from a friend with 150K on it. It was another "when I thought about it" car. We drove the car for a few years and I never had a moment's trouble with it, until the manifold gaskets strarted leaking and fumes were coming into the cabin. I decided to sell it to a guy who wanted the 351 Windsor engine to put in his pickup truck. I sold him the whole car for 100.00. I mean, what can you expect to get out of a car with 365K on the engine. As far as I know, the motor's still running today. Now, I'm not using this as a testimony for neglect, but, especially with the technological advances in motors and lubricants we see today, the 3K "rule" invented by "Jiffy Lubes" and Service Departments is way too aggressive. I believe that the manufacturers (especially with the liability issues they face) better know the "needs" of their product than the oil producers. And, if their recommendation is 7,500 miles, then, they're not going to risk the liability of recommending you blow your engine by under-lubricating it. Meanwhile, the Consumer Report's "New York Taxi-Cab test" several years ago, bore out the fact that viscosity breakdown did not occur significantly until, around, the 7,500 mile mark (several brands of oil were tested), which was the basis for their "Myth vs. Reality" response on their site:
http://www.consumerreports.org/Speci.../0104myt0.html

But, like you said, do what you will. If it gives you peace of mind, change every 3K, or 2K for that matter. Just know that it's peace of mind you're paying that extra 65.00 for, and not, necessarily insurance for your engine. And, as a side bar, yes, I think 10K is way to long to wait too. Especially when recommended intervals are at 7,500.

One more reference from Consumer Reports, and I'll shut up.

http://www.consumerreports.org/Categ...s/0010oil0.htm

[This long post dedicated to the memory of blonde_man, wherever he may be. ]
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI

Last edited by Aredubjay; 05-22-2001 at 02:17 PM.