Thread: Oil Discussion
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2001, 02:35 PM
lightning_8669

Looks interesting. But you can't put it in an airplane. At least not legally. I think they are using their AVblend for marketing purposes. However, they may have borrowed some of the aviation oil chemistry to produce the product. They say it gets into the metal and cleans out carbon and varnish. Sounds like detergent to me. I don't know how "slippery" these little molecules are but there are something like six purposes for oil in an engine. Lubricate, cushion, cool, clean, corrosion ressistance I think are most of the important ones. Part of the "cushion" comes in an oil's ability to reduce shear. The molecules are really strands and the stronger the strands the better the cushion. Basically they don't move out of the way and sort of bear the brunt of the forces. Gasoline molecules don't provide much cushion, for instance, because they are smaller.

But I'm not a chemist. I doubt they would sell something that would ruin your engine. However, I'd be interested in seeing what kind of results you would get. Might be one of those long term things regarding wear. Subaur engines wear remarkably well even without changing oil ever 3K miles. I go 6K regurlarly without ever having a problem. 247,000 miles on my last one an it is still running with over 250,000.