View Single Post
Old 01-01-2002, 05:03 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by tober76b
nothernkanuck, you wrote: "I know I had what I referred to as a lag and I would get the front tire spin on wet or slippery roads and I don't consider myself an agressive driver."

did you experience the same sensation as clearwaterms?

clearwaterms wrote: "It was raining last night and when I nailed the gas, it spun the front tires then there was a jerk and the car hooked, it felt like the power transfer to the rear wheels was slightly delayed"

mine '92 does the same thing...often with quite an abrupt clunk/jerk.
i can peel out the front on dry pavement along with wet. they'll usually spin for a little over a second, but i usually let off on the pedal to lessen the clunk.
dry pavement pretty much takes a full-throttle effort, but i spin the wheels on wet pavement at about 3/5 throttle.
in fact, if i punch it to pass someone when the roads are wet, i'll break loose even though i'm already in motion. i've experienced this when the trans downshifts to 1st and 2nd. (and no, i don't have bald tires; however, they aren't aqua treads).

i'm not sure if i've had the ECU mod done, but i can say that my delay before the power kicks in is very minimal---if noticeable at all.
tober
I don't want to put the curse of the "black jellybean" on anyone
BUT. A delay in engaging the rear drive to the extent that you describe, would be caused by low oil pressure to the rear clutch. The jerk that is felt is due to the way the clutch is operated by the TCU.
A low pressure is fed to the clutch first to slow the front wheels down to the rear wheel speed, before the main pressure is applied. If this low pressure is general or lost through leaks in the sealing rings, the front wheels won't be slowed till the main pressure is applied causing the clunk.
This could be from a number of causes, if there are no other symptoms, it may just be wear in the oil sealing rings, that take the oil from the case into the output shaft to operate the clutch.
As SVX_COMMUTER said a pressure check should show it up.
If this is the case it can be repaired without removing the box, just the rear section.
Harvey.
(ps. if your transmission shows problems, get it looked at rightaway, a small cost now can save heaps later.)

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.