View Single Post
Old 09-19-2005, 08:19 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Tire wear Alignment Control Arm

I am having trouble with the front right tire wear. It is getting that washboard wear on the inside the tire. This has been going on for awhile now. I have taken it to different shops and no one has found the problem. The alignment has been checked and it is within spec.

They all say the lower control arm bushings are fine. Pushing and pulling on the arm with bars to get the bushings to move does not reveal any loose bushings or bushing defects. All the sub-frame bolts are tight. The shocks have been replaced and the ball joints and upper strut mount are good.

It seems as the tire wear progresses that a noise and vibration starts to emanate from the right front during braking.

So I am thinking that the lower control arm is worn out and it moves out of place when braking heavily and the alignment goes to poop when the arm moves. The forces on the control arm bushings way higher during braking than poking around with a bar and looking for loose parts.

I am also wondering if it’s a defective tire and the wear is just coming from the defect. I could put the rear tire up front and see if it does the same thing.

The front bearings have been checked and they are okay.

Any thought on this would be most appreciated.