Thread: Ammeter install
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2004, 05:05 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by lee
The Alt is rated at 90 or 95 (I forget) and probably puts out less with age. You weren't expecting to see this amount all the time were you?

If you replaced the fusible link I would think twice about that...if there's a short, you will be smelling burning wires under the hood - to close to the fuel filter/lines to suit me, but....

Ammeters I have seen (its been a while) are inline with the charging circuit. If that's the case for your gauge, then it should be spliced into the thick lead coming off the top of the alternator. I would hope someone has thought up some kind of inductive measurement system for ammeters. In the days of my youth (back around when they were inventing dirt) I had a Dodge ammeter die, which meant no charging until I jumped the meter - of course not found until after replacing the voltage regulator and generator (BTW, what they used before alternators).

Regarding the meter reading. It seems OK if there's not much load - turn on the headlights, try highbeams turn the A/C on high to spin up the radiator fan and get the blower motor turning - that should make it jump up a good bit.
ok now you say i should splice into the thick lead on top of the alternator, are talking about the thicker of the to wires running from the clip in the alternator or the two wires that are bolted to a stud on the alt??