View Single Post
Old 10-16-2012, 02:02 PM
Very Terrific Driver

Registered SVX
Re: Left front has developed a rasping sound

First of all, thanks for the assistance and thanks to everyone who bother to help us mechanically challenged.

I just had an awful experience.

Second, my rear bearings were so bad this summer I had them and and the hubs replaced. The "flopping", rasping sound was not anything like the majestic drone of the bearings.

Third, I jacked up the car using the bundled jack. To my small surprise, the nuts were not really tight at all. I also think they're the wrong kind, not flange. I took the wheel off, inspected it and everything in the wheel well. Nothing seemed wrong. I went around the car to see if I could see anything on the other and then the car fell down!

Admittedly, the problem was most likely me forgetting to set the hand brake........... trusting the transmission in "P".

I was totally heartbroken, the jack had flipped with the car coming down over it, essentially ramming the support plate into the body. I was certain it had gone into the structure.

The rescue car came with a pneumatically driven pillow, we got the car up, the jack away and the wheel back on. The brakes seemed unharmed. Everything seemed unharmed. The rescure guy was pretty certain the support plate had not rammed the structure (it did not go into the jack piont, more towards the front wheel. The plastic broke but everythig seems in place.

The sound is gone, too. Maybe it was something that was corrected with the shock, maybe it was just the wheel coming a bit loose and needed tightening. I've tightened the three others and will of course tighten this one once I've done some klicks.

So.... by pure chance, no injury, life intact. No sound as of my small test drive just now. Broken plastic.
I'm ready to f...