View Single Post
Old 05-10-2006, 02:00 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohrds
The other reason for changing the O-rings is that the R134a molecules are smaller than the R12 molecules and will pass through the R12 O-rings under the higher pressure that R134a builds up.

R12 systems use the equvelant of Mineral Oil. R134a uses PAG oil. The two are incompatible. Mineral oil will break down at the increased pressure that R134a runs at (10-15% higher discharge pressure).

The other caveot on the SVX is that the condensor was designed for the R12 and is a little too small for use in R134a. If there is a slightly larger condensor that will physically fit in the SVX, that would help the retrofit system cool as well as or better than the original R12.

Doug
I have no leakage out of my 18 year old o-rings on the XT6 It cools just fine. Only leakage is out of the low pressure hose filler fitting. I think the people who say you need all this work have stock in retrofit companies.

As for the SVX condensor, I think its the same for R-12 and r-134a and my SVX when the system is working with a decent pump is overly cool on a 100 degree southeastern summer day.