View Single Post
Old 10-17-2003, 04:20 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Wiz Send a message via AIM to Wiz Send a message via Yahoo to Wiz
Re: Re: 18 inch or 17 inch tires

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

I don't see any post on this thread saying that. What we are pretty sure of, though, is that having tires with significantly different rolling diameters (say, when the fronts get more worn than the rears or if you replace only the fronts) will damage your transfer clutch assembly.

Also, while I agree that measuring the circumference on Wiz's old tires will tell us something, I don't think it tells us the whole story. Measuring the circumference, as has been suggested on thsis thread, has to be done with the car's weight off the tire. That tells us nothing about the actual rolling diameter of the tire. Not maintaining the tire pressure correctly can be just as damaging as having tires with significantly different wear.

I keep an eye on my tire pressures and I rotate my tires every time I change my oil - about every 3,000 miles.
Ok. They said the tires are within the 1/4" margin. So these tires were not at fault. But, they also said its likly that the guy may have done the same thing in the past except that the tires were more than 1/4" different in size.

Seems logical that the guy would have done that before these tires. If he ignored the rule with these ones this time, why not in the past too?

Anyways, there is not much more info they could give me to the cause of the problem becides that the guy must have done that.