View Single Post
Old 10-20-2009, 04:51 PM

Re: 4 banger in SVX...?

It depends.

an H6 will be more powerful, if built well. But it also will be more custom, and not have parts right off the shelf.

It depends what your budget, and your targets are.

Another thing, with a boxer 4-cylinder... you might look at the 2010 Legacy's turbo layout.

The turbo is mounted low in front of the engine, with equal length runners from the exhaust ports. Cutting a 6-cyl engine car down to a 4-cylinder engine, and keeping the flywheel in the same place... there will be some room in that engine bay, in front of the engine, for just that sort of turbo location.

The '10 Legacy engine has some other differences, though. The engine mounts are relocated, and the whole engine is mounted in a cradle, which is different than the previous Legacy, and the Impreza lineup. You might need to confirm whether the Impreza or pre-'10 Legacy style EJ blocks, with the previous engine mounting location that is more like the EG33, whether that can accept the low-front turbo headers and other hardware, or whether things need to be fabricated.

There are options, but it matters what your financial and power output goals are.

I would be reading every thread in the Turbo/Supercharger mod forum. ECUtune, and the Toms, and others know much more about the mechanicals. I am familiar with the driving characteristics, but I have not done an engine swap, nor built an EG33 for turbocharging.

------------

1992 Claret SVX. Rescued from certain destruction, and still on the road, where it belongs. Waiting for a bit of a makeover, when I can afford it.
2005 Garnet Red Pearl Legacy GT Limited 5-speed. - The late great Subaru sport touring sedan.
1999 Classic Red Miata, Preferred equipment package 5-speed. Fun, fun, fun, in the Sun, sun, sun.

Last edited by BoxerFanatic; 10-20-2009 at 04:55 PM.