View Single Post
Old 10-31-2007, 09:39 AM

First SVX, Trans cooler + other Q's

Hello,

I recently bought my first SVX.

Its a 1992 Pearl AWD from Canada - and remains in Canada as i live here

Overall she seems to be in excellent condition, aside from some clearcoat peeling and the usual quarter rust. But don't worry shes gettin complete paint in the next few weeks.

Mechanically its got 126 xxx KMS (78 xxx miles) on everything original. Technically im the third owner, but the second only drove it for 200 kilometers, and before that an older couple were the original owners.

Im going through the process of changing ALL the fluids. engine oil, ATF, Diff's etc. One question about changing the tranny fluid.

Since I have a 1992 is there any filter upgrades or parts I should install? Or simply chage the fluid? I know i read somehwere the 94+ have different filters or something along those lines.

Second would be, after paint I'm looking at getting a trans cooler. I have read it is a good idea, but I am wondering what the best kind is. My local Trany shop highly recomended a self regulating cooler - this exact one herehttp://www.importperformancetrans.com/coolers.shtml

Is this one relativly decent? I've never dealt with transmission coolers and am by far no expert but these seem to be prety decent and make sense - It will be winter soon so I dont need the tranny cooled at start up when it is 0-10F outside, but once she heats up the self regulator should kick in.

Any ideas thoughts? Any other quick general maintanance recomendations are also appreciated.

Thanks,
Rob