View Single Post
Old 03-03-2007, 12:49 PM
Radio wiring harness guru
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2NI
... we do use ISO connectors since a few years so there's no need to wire anything anymore between the car & the aftermarket stereo...

Could you provide me such an harness? Directly from the US SVX plug onto my ISO stereo?

[on an eBay listing] the seller lists its product as OK for the SVX but I guess its only for Eurospec cars??? Are the connectors different on US, €uro or JDM cars or can I buy this product eyes closed?
Hi Denis! Welcome to the forums.

I know that SVXs in the US, Canada, and Japan all use the 20-pin connector (with 16 wires populated), similar to what I'm making.

I have heard that SVXs in Europe use the 14-pin connector (like on most other Subarus). I have not actually seen a good picture of the connector in a European SVX to confirm. However, that would explain why nobody in Europe has ever asked about my SVX harnesses, except for a guy in the UK recently who bought a JDM .

So yes, the harness adapter you found on eBay would only work for European SVXs, not your USDM. I can tell from the picture that the Subaru side has 14 pin positions (with only 13 populated).

So there are 2 more wires on the US/JDM than on the European SVXs. One is for the "satellite" (remote control) buttons on the steering wheel, which was offered on some early JDM SVXs. I'm guessing that this option was not offered in Europe (otherwise, I don't know how they would have made the wiring connection).

The other missing wire is the 3rd one for illumination. This wire signals when the driver has pressed the 'night illumination dimness cancel' button on the end of the turn signal lever. When the headlights are on and you push this button, parts of the factory radio's display and other things on the dash get brighter or dimmer. It sounds like European Subaru factory radios did not do this. No aftermarket stereo will need this, so it won't matter if that wire is missing from the harness.

Unfortunately, I can't make a single-piece adapter like what is in your picture. You would need to solder or crimp together my SVX 'forward' harness (to connect to your SVX) with an ISO reverse harness (to connect to your new stereo).

I don't know if I can get an ISO reverse harness from my supplier, but it would probably be better for you to find one locally anyway. That way you will be certain that you get the correct harness to fit your new stereo. Perhaps one similar to this?

http://www.bluespot.co.uk/stock/iso.asp

When you're ready to buy my SVX harness, or if you have any other questions, please e-mail me (see link in first post of this thread).