View Single Post
Old 10-16-2018, 03:01 AM

Registered SVX
Re: 3rd and 4th gear are not engaging + weird smell

Kia ora Filip,

I understand your problem and do not worry as you do not have to carry out all the complicated tests shown in the manual, or dig a hole.

Refer previous posts 13 & 14 and note that you only have to make sure that line pressure does not fall below the required and normal minimum pressure which is 44 PSI. Therefore, allowing some tolerance, be concerned if at any time the pressure falls below say 40 PSI.

As is mentioned in the manuals (post 13), arrange things so that you can see the gauge while driving the car. The connecting tube should be long enough to pass it up through a wiring opening and into the inside of the car. Then simply drive the car as you have been doing and when the engine is hot, as you drive, check the line pressure which should never fall below a minimum of 40 PSI. You must by now have a basic understanding of what is going on and the gauge will show you what is happening.

I gather that you have been driving the car in what must surely be limp mode, without any overheating or clutch slip, in which event you can be optimistic and hope that you may not have a drastic fault to deal with. The pressure will tell the story. Hang onto your lucky star. LOL

Now, to answer your question. —-

If the car is held so that it can not move, with the brakes hard on and for safety also chocked (blocked from moving) With the transmission engaged, the throttle is then opened and engine revolutions are increased so as to apply power. You will reach a point where the engine is “stalled” and can not go any faster. You have then reached the “stall point”.

In effect the torque convertor is also effectively stalled and is holding back and resisting all the available engine power and is in effect completely slipping rather than transmitting torque. The tests should be short so as not to cause wear or damage. A slipping clutch in the selected gear should become obvious. Unfortunately presumably you would not be able to test the suspect upper ratios. In any event don't worry yourself with this test.

Apply your foot gently and go easy on the struggling clutches. Hang in there and keep us posted on results.

Cheers, Trevor.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!

Last edited by svxcess; 10-23-2018 at 03:41 PM.