View Single Post
Old 10-03-2018, 01:43 AM

Registered SVX
Re: 3rd and 4th gear are not engaging + weird smell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filip View Post
oab_au: thank you for confirming.

I have already talked with some carshops, so i have basic idea of overhaul cost...

The thing is, i have to use SVX anyway, say 50 Km a week. I drive very gently, not letting it much over 3500rpms - if i would not know car is 4 speed, i would not say its broken - so i hope it will be the solenoid...

svxcess: thank you very much for all informations you posted ! I really appreciate it !

Problem is , that i have called to 4 carshops, including Subaru and only AT oriented shop and none of them measuring line pressure ...

What is most funny is, that guy from last shop i called, told me, they do measuring line pressure, but do not have adapter for sizes of 90s Subarus socket...

So, its not ideal, but i am forced to simply buy that solenoid A, change it myself and see if it make differcence or not.

Is this correct part number of SOLENOID A : 16102AA020 ?

https://parts.subaru.com/p/Subaru__/...6102AA020.html

Only in short, where it is located and how hard it is to change it, is there DIY somewhere ?

Thank you very much guys and take care

Filip
Filip,

you must accept that repair shops are not interested in locating a problem when they can pursuade prospective customers to spend big money on a complete transmission rebuild and this fact has been the undoing of the SVX throughout its history.

Common sense dictates that the cause off a problem must be located before a repair is attempted. In this case it is logical to suspect a lack of line pressure, however this must be proven before proceeding with work which could be in the wrong direction thus waisting energy, time and importantly money.

The "A" solenoid can be replaced by dropping the transmission oil pane and removing the valve body, but although much simpler than removing the complete transmission, quite a lot of work is involved. Having done so you still can not be absolutely sure that you are going to fix your problem. Surely it makes sense to first locate what is causing the problem and. then proceed knowing what you are doing.

You can make up a pressure gauge in less time than it will take you to remove the oil pan, much. less the valve body. I will come back with when I locate instructions which I have previously written up.

I note that you are using the car, but carefully. I trust and presume that you are not getting any sort of smell, as this would indicate that clutches are slipping and can detect if any slip is occurring while you drive. Otherwise you will be wearing things out and a complete rebuild will become essential. :-(

Meantime do't panic. LOL

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!

Last edited by Trevor; 10-03-2018 at 02:03 AM. Reason: Paragraph added.