Thread: Rough Idle
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2012, 11:41 PM

Rough Idle

Hello. Well since it's gettin a little colder out my car is suddenly started idling rough on me. First of all I've been searching around thread and really haven't found anything that sounded like my predicament and nothing really adds up.

But the first couple of days after 80 to 70 degree weather turned into 50-40 degrees my car really didn't show any signs of anything abnormal. but just a week ago my idle began to surge and was at about 250-500 RPM and sounds to be miss firing a little because the car seemed to vibrate a little more than usual.

The car is NOT throwing any CEL codes. So the first thing i did was to check my TPS adjustment and that was a little low sitting at .380, so i readjusted to .5 volts while the engine was at operating temp (unsure if needed to do it when engine cold or warm). Also take into consideration that i have been checking the voltage for a while seeing that i had done an engine reseal about 2000 miles ago. Unless i didn't tighten the screws very tight or i have suspicion that the TPS could be going.

I have doubts that i have vacuum leaks seeing as i replace what could have been 20 year old lines. In addition i also replace PCV and i do get a sound when i rev the engine to what sound like the valve sputtering as i let of the throttle.

Earlier today I had unplugged the coils one by one on the passenger side to see if coils were bad and i got a reaction each time, although i had not check the driver side. And i plan on pulling out the spark pugs to see if there is anything abnormal there.

But besides all of this, I dont know what to next. I feel like an idiot because i can rebuild a tranny and reseal the engine but cant diagnose this problem.

So any help is greatly appreciated in advance and id like to here what you guys have to say with any greater knowledge that you may have to help me figure this out.