View Single Post
Old 07-10-2002, 07:15 PM

imortal_suby and others

I have pulled and replaced the SVX tranny twice on jackstands in my garage (if you have to know - I screwed up the first time by incorrectly installing the torque convertor).

I found a motorcycle jack to work wonderfully. I can't remember the brand, but I got it at Sam's and it lowers to a height of about 1.5 inches. It has two flat arms, about 3 inches in width, that are long enough, and spaced such that they support the tranny across the front/back edges of the pan. At maximum extension it's just about perfect for putting the tranny back given the height of my jackstands. The jackstands by the way are only tall enough to get the tranny in/out if if I take off a tire and push down a little on the bellhousing section to clear the subframe enough until it's safely in the hollow behind the engine. As another hint, I used two nylon strap-clamps to hold up the front of the engine. Strap-clamps are those things normally used in woodworking to keep ackward shapes in place while being glued up (I used two as insurance - not actually using the second until I got scared just watching the engine sitting there with just one thing preventing my radiator from being toast too). Ran the straps through the dogbone, over the fuel injectors, and closed the loop through the eyelet by the alternator/A/C compressor.

Just about the only other tools needed are a metric socket & wrench set. Oh, and for the jackstands - on the front I put them under the subframe by the engine so the tranny could roll in and out on the motorcycle jack - which has built-in rollers.

Beav's hint about the 3 bolts on each side was invaluable in shortening/easing the job. Oh, and I had the benefit of an electric 1/2" impact wrench for help on getting those and the exhaust studs loose.

The hardest, or maybe most tedious, part of the job for me was getting the 4 bolts connecting the TC to the flexplate off/on.

My second time assembling I went from trannny sitting on the jack next to the car, to driving away in about 2 hours.