View Single Post
Old 02-26-2007, 01:30 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor
Steve, it would appear that the NZ system is the same as the Australian, which means that you have a problem in achieving what you desire.

This system has no electrical activation of the locking mechanism in the drivers door. Operation is purely mechanical, but at the same time a switch is moved so as o also unlock the passenger door. Therefore you can not get over the awkward opening of the drivers door.
Trevor
<<
Therefore you can not get over the awkward opening of the drivers door
>>

I'm not sure I understand you right in this matter. I would not mind if a momentary switch operated to unlock both the driver and the passenger door to allow the passenger to disembark. It would simply be a matter of re-locking both doors when underway. The driver's door would unlock, but not open.

Re-locking both is done by the speed control in the JDM ones. It can be achieved by the driver's slider button in the UK one.

My main grief with the last JDM car I had was the physical difficulty of reaching over to the passenger slider lever to help a passenger. Operating the microswitch using the inside driver door latch also simultaneously opened the driver door, as opposed to simply unlocking it.

Now if it was possible to re-position the microswitch so that by lifting the latch on the driver's door a little bit it was hit early and unlocked both doors, but did not open the driver's door, then that solution would fix the problem of letting the passenger out, without the complication of opening and re-shutting the driver's door. Or indeed without the need for a second switch, although only the driver could access the function.

Does anyone who has seen the position of the microswitch think that any such adjustment is possible?

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl