Thread: Trans. shift.
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2009, 12:46 PM

Re: Trans. shift.

Hi,
if you look here... http://cid-4ca3c3459aaa7f7f.skydrive...e.aspx/.Public there is a file called transbrakebandadj have a look at that and see if it sounds like any of your symptoms. There are also some trans manuals there. The adjustment itself is a bit of a mission, you are meant to take the gearbox mounts and exhaust off and drop the trans down a little, then reach up on top and adjust the band with special tools and an inch/pound torque wrench.

The egr... is that the solenoid that you are thinking of replacing or the actual valve that lets the exhaust gas through? I have never replaced or even needed to diagnose one of those so I am just guessing here but... most trouble codes can be set by the result they are meant to produce not being achieved. They don't necessarily have to be defective. So for instance, the O2 senspr will post a code if the air cleaner is blocked or an injector is defective, it does not mean the O2 sensor is crook, just that the feed-back it is producing is not having the desired effect. It is probably like that for the egr solenoid too. If you want to be sure you are replacing the right part you need to check the solenoid electricaly... ohms, power supply, earth. Then you want to check it is allowing air through, they often have a filter on them that can clog up with dust. If the solenoid is working then you should check the small hoses going from it to the egr valve are all on and in good condition. If all that is in order then I would pull the egr valve off and check whether it can be cleaned or not. They get carboned up and often just need a scrape out in their ports.