Thread: Aarrgghhhhh
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2008, 05:06 AM

Re: Aarrgghhhhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark View Post
bandpass is ok (i have one in my car)...... i'd rather have sealed, but i've had this thing in my last three cars, and it still works.

i don't know what kind of metal you listen to, but for machine-gun double bass drums, i'd go with sealed.

from ecoustics.com:
"sealed will yield a fairly flat response, and is the most accurate type of box.
a sealed box also requires the most power to attain the same SPL as other box types.

a ported box is usually about +3dB more efficient at the frequency of the tuned port(s). These boxes require less power than sealed to reach the same SPL, but below their tuned frequency, they are very hard to control, and require great amounts of power to produce those below-port frequencies. Ported enclosures also add coloration to the sound, which detracts from their accuracy.

bandpass boxes are +3 to +12dB more efficient, making these the loudest of the boxes, but they lack severely in sound quality and will not hit very deeply since they, as the name implies, are limited to a notch frequency range.. usually between about 50-100Hz. loud, not deep, and they can accept a lot of power due to the damping factor of the enclosure designs. Bandpass boxes are ideal for SPL competitions, but not recommended for anything desiring musicality such as a daily driver car.
"
+1 Its been a while since I've played with any of this stuff but I used to love the accuracy of the sealed box with metal.