View Single Post
Old 04-27-2005, 09:27 PM

So my daily driver bit the dust

Had a problem with the thermostat in my 92chevy caprice on the way home last Sat, couldn't even see the temp needle on the guage. Car ran fine, got it home, parked over the weekend until I had a chance to change the thermostat.
It was a sad day for Mrs.Rotorflyr as the car served her (and me) well, and was her "escape" vehicle from a former life!
Tues rolls around and finaly get around to replacing the thermostat, run it in the driveway, seems fine, take it around the block, still acting normal. Drive around the neighboorhood, runs normal.
So I decide I'll take it out on the hightway for an exit or two, since this is were I first encountered the problem, runs great on the highway, so I get off to turn back to home, get to the bottom of the ramp, sit at the stop sign, traffic clears, hit the gas and start my left turn.......BOOM!!!!
Roll to the left shoulder (as there wasn't enough momentum to cross the road) and look down: Tranny bites the farm at exactly 189600mi on clock!
Since I didn't shut the engine down, or even bother to shift it into park, cause no matter what gear I put it in, it didn't move, the picture I took when I got home (after a tow) shows it as 189600.6mi, which I'll post to my locker when ever I get around to it
Im actually surprised it lasted as long as it did, over the course of time my wife owned it, then me driving it, we put almost no money into it, other then the occasional oil change (very occasional!) tires, and a set of brakes, with the exception of one $300 engine repair in 99' when raw fuel was being dumped into the left side of the engine when you would make a sharp left turn.

So now it sits at the bottom of my driveway til I/we decide what to do with it (most likely the scrap heap) and the SVX is now my daily driver
On the plus side, since I agreed with Mrs.Rotorflyr to use it as a daily driver, in 15months* or so, I get to buy another SVX**!!

* cause being a homeowner and father of 3, there are other things $$$ needs to be spent on!
**unless I decide I want to make payments on something else such as an FXT, B11s or RX-8 at that time

Last edited by Rotorflyr; 04-27-2005 at 09:29 PM.