Thread: Mid-Engine SVX
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2003, 03:31 PM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: Mid-Engine SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by L1P1

The auto transmission won't do, but the 5-speed conversions that you're all well aware of would do the trick.

So I guess I have two questions:

1) Is a 5-speed AWD transaxle readily convertible to a 2WD mid-engine configuration using just the front 'axle' output.

And

2) Does anybody have any idea of the measurement of the front halfshaft from a known point (say, the front of the timing belt pulleys). A rough figure from a tape measure woud do at this point. Or really, any measurement/diagram would help.

1) Yes, any Impreza, Legacy FWD 5-Speed would do what you're wanting, longitudinal engine driving the Front wheels (which would drive the rear in your case)
I think the shifter linkage would be somewhat difficult, but I'm sure it could be done.

2)It is Roughly 27" from the front of the motor o the center of the axles, this is a very rough measurement, but it's outside in the snow, so I'm not gonna crawl under it right now.
I'd say there is at least the samw amount (27") of the tranny behind the axle, but that is just a pure guess, from memory.

Keep up posted if you decide to use the SVX's 3.3, I'm sure there are many of us that would find it interesting.
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"