Thread: Mid-Engine SVX
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2003, 08:24 PM
L1P1

Quote:
Originally posted by Subafreak
You should be able to find a good used EJ20T or TT on ebay or else ware. There are also companies that import them from Japan. they have had the WRX since 94. Just wondering I assume it the egine layout your interested in and not so much the SVX. what kind of car do you plan on making mid-engine?
Ah, EJ20T. That got some hits that I'd not seen. Thanks.

I was particularly interested in the SVX engine because it is older, available, and among the first I saw that hit above 200HP. The EJ20T is more along the lines of my original concept (smaller, more bang per lb), but I think the SVX, at least on the face of it, seems to have a little more potential for more. I mean, it's normally aspirated to begin with and I've seen turbo mods that might bring it near a (claimed) 300HP. It's a trade-off.

My thought is to design a car around the best powertrain (for the money) I can find. So it's not an existing car. It'd probably primarily tube-framed, or aluminum construction. Perhaps like a GT-40, with that level of technology (a carbon fiber chassis would rule but my oven is not big enough to double as an autoclave )

I guess the big question remaining is whether I could take a WRX-type transaxle and just ignore the 'driveshaft' output in the rear and use the front-wheel part to power the rear wheels. It seems like it should work, but I don't know if there are any problems there.