View Single Post
Old 12-10-2003, 01:07 PM

$0.02

Quote:
Originally posted by LarryIII
... the SVX is a GT car that is designed for use in inclement weather, but it is not a Jeep or snowmobile.
this is probably easy for me to say, since i don't live in a snow state, but i don't see awd in the svx as being the same as 4wd, nor do i see the purpose and application of awd on my svx to be the same as on my outback, even tho the systems are similar. it seems to me the purpose of awd in the outback design is all-weather traction on a variety of surfaces (wet, snow, loose gravel, sand, whatever). In contrast, it seems to me that awd in the svx is all about dry tarmac roadholding, steering control, cornering attitude and performance driving. i learned this in a big way this past summer driving the backroads around Mt St Helens, full song, with a Lotus Elan, a Jaguar XK8 and a Honda S2K:
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ight=judgement

up until that time, i had not driven the car in a way that even approached its limits and did not fully appreciate how well the awd system in the svx contributes the overall ability of the car. this 3500lb 230hp gt coupe (with a rather tame power-to-weight ratio of about 15-1, definitely not sports car territory) performs, imho, way better than it has any right to, due to the presence of its awd system. also, awd in the svx makes me a better driver, in being extremely forgiving. i get away with driver error that i never would if the same car was equipped with only fwd or rwd.

now if it only had porsche brakes, eh alan?