View Single Post
Old 12-31-2002, 10:23 AM
Yeah, it's a poodle - so what?

Ron, there are lots of technical reasons behind this, and if you'd like to read pages and pages of them, go to http://www.cdrfaq.org

CD-Rs are harder to read than commercial pressed CDs. 80-minute CD-Rs are harder to read than 74-minute CD-Rs. Audio CDs are harder to read than data CDs. Older players are more finicky and have less efficient error-correction abilities. Car players get more vibration, heat, cold, dirt, etc., and consequently drift off calibration and get dirty lenses.

I burn a lot of music CDs using two burners on two different computers, and have occasional problems like this. I burn a new CD and that usually takes care of it.

I suggest:

1. Try cleaning your SVX CD player. Cleaning disks are available wherever CDs are sold.

2. Try a different brand of CD-R. I've had the best luck with CD-Rs that have relatively opaque top surfaces and silvery recording surfaces. Some CD-Rs have translucent tops and greenish or bluish recording surfaces, and I suspect there's enough difference in reflectivity to cause problems in some players. With my equipment, I have a high failure rate with Maxell CD-Rs, and a very low failure rate with Memorex. Go figure.

3. Try 74-minute instead of 80-minute, if you can find them.

4. If possible, record at a slower speed.

A reality of home CD-burning is that some ain't gonna work.

Congratulations on getting the system up and operating, and keep trying!!

I'm going to look for that CD . . . thanks for the tip.
2001 Outback Sport

Last edited by sfsvx; 12-31-2002 at 10:52 AM.