View Single Post
Old 12-30-2002, 09:44 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Angry Need help from the audiophile gallery (yeah, O/T)

I know...this belongs in the technical forum, but the larger the audience the better.

About a year ago I bought a top 'o the Circuit City line JVC digital/analog recorder/player. After three days of fiddling with "right cables in right jacks" & getting my ancient analog Pioneer tuner to make it all happen, I gave up on furthering my education, & used it merely as a CD player. Until now...
One of my daughter's Christmas begs was a number of CDs, none of the artists being familiar to me, but as we're 33 years apart in age, why should they be? I found only one of her esoteric requests & stuffed it in the stocking next to the lumps of coal.
The name of the CD is Blacklisted by Neko Case. I decided to listen to it. I GOTTA HAVE A COPY OF THIS!!! Kinda "New age pop country art rock". It's sooo easy to categorize music these days!
I grudgingly open the JVC instruction manual (wish I had an automatic, ha-ha). Buried half way through the manual, I find the steps to making a copy of a CD FROM a CD. I do what the manual says to do. By the way, at first I tried to use a recordable disc that was "only for computer copies". Three days later & loss of more hair, I was sold the proper CD-R MUSIC discs. Point being my nerves are already frayed. Anyway, I successfully make a copy. I play the copy through the JVC machine. Yup... sounds just like the original. I'm pleased. I now want to play my copy in the genuine Panasonic SVX CD professional audio system. I insert disc... it de-inserts. I insert again - same result again. Other CDs work fine. I now insert copy into Sony boom-box. zzzzzgggghhhhh noise, it's spinning, but nada.
I insert in my computer CD player, More nada.
Oh... the question. Am I now dealing with yet another Bill Gates contrived caveat or formatting thing that says, "You idiot, don't you know that to record AND PLAY BACK through machines that weren't involved in the recording, you go back to Circuit City, open your wallet and......."
There's got to be an explanation in plain English somewhere.
Thanks for listening to this drivel.

Ron (fondling vinyl).

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.

Last edited by Ron Mummert; 12-30-2002 at 11:47 PM.