Thread: Gas Leak?
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2009, 05:33 PM

Gas Leak?

Ok everybody... I am having a hard time troubleshooting this one. I don't drive my SVX daily, sometimes it can sit for almost a week without running. I have noticed that every time I start the car up after sitting, the gas gauge is showing less fuel than the last time I drove it. I also took into consideration that the gas gauge could just be reading inaccurately. However, based on the amount of gas the car took when i refueled it, some had definitely gone somewhere.

To begin trying to narrow the focus of the problem, i tossed the old gas cap, and put a brand new one on. With the new cap, nothing has changed. So, I don't think it is leaking out from there.

I am not getting any Check Engine or other lights indicating any sort of problem. Nor have I observed any gas smell around the car. I have stuck my head under it with it running as well as while it has been sitting cold and parked.

Finally, I parked the car over a spread out piece of cardboard to see what is leaking from the car while it is parked. I got a small amount of oil (which I knew about & expected), but nothing else!

Does anyone have any thoughts on where I should look next to figure out where my gas is going!? Premium fuel definitely isn't getting cheaper!!

Thanks!

1996 Subaru SVX LSi (Red)
2019 Subaru WRX LTD