View Single Post
Old 08-12-2008, 01:03 AM
Mechanical 'L' plater ahead

Re: Questions from a delighted and excited new owner

Some info on her (and please excuse the mile long posts, but 1. I'm excited & 2. I've seen most of the stuff I'm putting down in newbies posts over time, so I just figured I'd get it over with and dump it all in one place)

The girl I bought it from has had it about 3yrs & bought it from a dealer's auction in Brisbane. For over half that she's been garaged. First for 18mths when she moved up here, then most of the past six months 'cause she has a company car. Think the windscreen was an issue. I know it was serviced at least three times from stickers in the car, rear bearings were done, front and rear suspension done & bushes/magnets in the alternator.

VIN: JF2CXWAR0EH002178
Engine Type: EG33DGX1DL
Trans Type: T2102YP1BA
Trans No (I think!) 014929
Option code: BL
Build date: April '92

Paid: $4,500

So far...

New windscreen & retint
replaced oil, air and fuel filters
replaced engine, front & rear diff oils
Ran injector cleaner through - huge difference!

Next... trans service... I'm considering myself lucky there's no new error codes. (haven't been game enough to run engine and brake systems, but, armed with printouts of How-To's, am about to go and give them a shot).

Then... and this is a bit scary & the only upleasant surprise to date... apparently she needs a new steering rack.

Generally she runs beautifully. She can be a bit rough on the first startup of the day and a little sluggish the first five minutes or so driving. (seems common from what I've read). Running injector cleaner through it helped a ton & since sitting around so much for so long might explain it, it'll be a 'wait and see' thing. Other than that the engine is really quiet, though there's a slight flux at idle The mechanic laughed at me yesterday when he got in the car and 'felt' it - said that now I was just being picky!

Though I think I might have a bit of the famed & wonderful heat shield rattle...

So... can you tell I've kinda fallen for my car?

I've never done more than change oil and flush a radiator before, but yesterday found myself pricing ramps/jacks/torque wrenches.....

uh-oh