Thread: A/C failing
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2009, 09:49 AM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX
Re: A/C failing

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiftySVX View Post
The evaporator temp sensor is quite a pain to replace, you have to remove the box which contains the evaporator and then open it up. On some of the cars it the sensor is actually stuffed into the evaporator fins and on others it is suspended right in front of it. My 92 was one way and the 94 was the other way but I can't remember which was which. Unfortunately this isn't a job for the do it yourselfer. I would take it to a reputable shop, and take this opportunity to fix it correctly and remove the retrofit connectors, and charge it back with r-12. Also, don't forget to have the receiver dryer replaced.
Wow, that doesn't sound cheap.

Pain to replace usually = $$$$$

Charge back with r-12? Didn't know they still did that, thought it was just totally not produced any more (I just assumed). So what if down the line I need a new compressor? Is that still r-12 or is that when people convert? Sorry, I know nothing about this stuff, just that a lot of people I know have done the simple wal mart conversion kit, and also that the compressors give out eventually and need replacing, to the point it's one of the few oem parts Motorsport Warehouse even sells.

Funny thing is, once I ran the diagnostics, when I started the car the A/C came on right away. And for the last 2 days it has worked flawlessly, almost like the test somehow reset and corrected the system. I doubt it though. At the same time, I don't think intermitent A/C is enough to warrant what sounds like several hundred dollars of repair.

1992 SVX LSL "Serenity" 250,000 miles!

I don't care, I'm still free, You can't take the sky from me...