Thread: QC shift kit
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2012, 10:53 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: QC shift kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialFX View Post
I read the link and left confused. I'm not trying to troll your thread, but I just don't understand how this can give the claimed results.

How does altering the shifting make a difference of 80hp as shown on the dyno graphs? If the transmission has the same gears before and after and isn't slipping, shouldn't the dyno show the same either way? The transmission doesn't change the output of the engine. And since when do you do a continuous dyno run through multiple gears? The only major difference is what it reads during shifts (from what I can tell), which is meaningless.

Again, I'm not trying to bash your for sale thread or the product. I just don't understand and am hoping someone can help me make sense of it. I might actually be interested in it, but I can't make sense of those dyno results.
Hi I am "someone".
Yes those dyno charts were not understood by a lot of people. A wheel dyno measures torque at the wheel, and works out the HP, from the wheel speed.

You give the answer here,
" If the transmission has the same gears before and after and isn't slipping, shouldn't the dyno show the same either way? The transmission doesn't change the output of the engine".

See that is what happens when a torque converter is put under full load. In the SVX, the converter will lower the drive ratio by 1.9:1. So the engine now is turning faster than the wheels, and the torque has gone up.

But the dyno does not know that the ratio has changed, it is working on the premise that the engine torque has increased, at the same rpm, so the engine hp must have gone up.
No so.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.